Sunday, March 29, 2009

BTO: Cold but comfortable in Bavaria

Business Times - 21 Mar 2009

LETTER FROM MUNICH
Cold but comfortable in Bavaria

By HENG YIH WEN
Assistant manager,
financial services tax real estate
KPMG AG
Wirtschaftsprüfungs-gesellschaft

 

WHEN the offer of an international assignment came my way as part of KPMG's Global Opportunities programme, it was way too attractive to refuse. After much anticipation of what it would be like venturing out of my comfort zone into a foreign land by myself, I now find myself halfway into my secondment in Munich, Germany.

 

Beer is what is typically associated with the mere mention of Munich, the capital city of Bavaria. This is not all that surprising as Oktoberfest is a much celebrated and world renowned event.

 

But there is definitely more to the Bavarian culture beyond its strong connection to beer. In particular, its uniquely traditional delicacies and the tremendous warmth of its people, who fervently differentiate themselves from the rest of Germany, and take pride in keeping the Bavarian traditions alive through their day-to-day lives, arts and festivals.

 

The warmth is also evident in the fast-paced multi-cultural work environment here in Munich. From simple 'how are you' greetings in the mornings, to random small-talk and after-office-hours banter, one cannot help but be engulfed in the upbeat atmosphere and wonder: 'Where does such positive energy come from despite such hectic workdays?' I have experienced the truly Bavarian spirit of cheerfulness in my colleagues. My new-found friends have also, on many occasions, painstakingly translated the individual items on a German menu for me so that I know what I am about to eat!

 

Such warmth does help the petite-sized me, currently battling the sub-zero winter season, to make the transition into a predominantly German-speaking environment.

 

Apart from the friendliness of its people, the city itself also boasts a good mixture of tradition and modernity. Historical buildings and museums intertwine with numerous parks and new architecture. One can either take a walk along the Englischer Garten to escape from the hustle and bustle of the city life, or enjoy the shopping district of Marienplatz. Both are accessible from each other.

 

The Deutsches Museum, Nymphenburg Palace and various art galleries such as the Lenbachhaus, showcasing the works of Kandinsky and the like, should also delight those who appreciate the arts, culture and history.

 

To maintain the city's cultural identity, skyscrapers are few and far between here. However, landmark structures located away from the city centre such as the Olympic grounds (where the 1972 Summer Olympics was held), Allianz Arena (home to the famous FC Bayern Munich soccer team) and the BMW headquarters are some significant examples of modern Munich's innovative architecture.

 

Weekend planning for getaways to neighbouring countries is usually effortless, given the ample transportation choices. You can be in Salzburg by train, Prague by car or Zurich by air, all within a few hours.

 

Winter also thrives in the Bavarian Alps which are within driving distance from Munich, welcoming ski enthusiasts to demonstrate their snowboarding skills, as well as families who want to enjoy some time together in the snow.

 

Perhaps I am biased because I am less well-travelled, but the Bavarian culture and lifestyle in Munich has definitely grown on me. I am blessed to have chosen an ideal place which I call home for now.

 

And that reminds me - I should start planning a weekend trip to the Alps soon before spring arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment