Thursday, April 16, 2009

STI: Editors' choice

April 17, 2009

Editors' choice

KAREN TEE taps six beauty editors from Asian magazines for their skincare savvy and gets them to reveal their fave tips

 

When it comes to knowing the best cosmetic products around, beauty editors are tops for tips.

 

After all, they get first dibs on the newest beauty products and are in tune with the latest trends.

 

What these editors do sounds fabulous but the reality is that they need a great deal of expertise in sorting the picks from the pans.

 

So when Singapore played host to beauty editors from top magazines in Asia last week, the allure of tapping their skincare savvy was too good to miss.

 

The queens of cosmetic cool were here for the regional media preview of French brand Dior's new range of skincare products, Hydra Life, targeted at consumers aged 25 years and above.

 

Hydra Life compresses a three-step skincare routine of toner, serum and moisturiser into two, as the serum is incorporated into its toner and moisturiser. It will hit counters in Singapore in June.

 

Sixty-five beauty editors from eight countries, from publications including Elle China, Cosmopolitan Hong Kong and Vogue Taiwan, attended the two-day event.

 

Here is what they shared about beauty and skincare.

 

Miranda Tsai, 34, beauty editor of Vogue Taiwan

 

My all-time favourite beauty product is...

 

Albion Whitening Lift Milk from Japan, which is applied after cleansing and before toning the skin. It helps to prep my skin to fully absorb the other products I use. It also has a pleasant scent.

 

Three items I would take to a desert island are...

 

Any sunblock from La Roche-Posay, Shiseido's Revital moisturiser and L'Occitane's Rose body cream.

 

My favourite cheap beauty fix is...

 

To spread thin slices of cucumber all over my face like a mask. It has a cooling effect and can also tone and moisturise my skin.

 

The most important thing about beauty I've learnt is...

 

Always use sun protection. Before I became a beauty editor, I loved to get a tan without proper sun protection.

 

I have since learnt the importance of using sunblock, which protects skin from sun damage as well as premature wrinkles.

 

The right way to tan is to use a waterproof sunblock and to reapply it at regular intervals. Do remove sunblock with a proper make-up remover so it does not clog your pores.

 

Pimara Kampanathsanyakorn, 33, beauty editor of Elle Thailand

 

My all-time favourite beauty product is...

 

Anything by M.A.C. I don't have a specific product but it was the first make-up brand I loved as a teenager and brings back great memories.

 

Three items I would take to a desert island are...

 

A moisturiser with sunscreen such as Estee Lauder's Cyber White moisturiser, Kiehl's No. 1 lip balm and an all-in-one cleanser like American brand Philosophy's Amazing Grace.

 

My favourite cheap beauty fix is...

 

Vaseline. You can use it to groom your eyebrows, tame flyaway hair and treat blotchy or rough skin, among many other things.

 

The most important thing about beauty I've learnt is...

 

Not to forget my beauty regimen, no matter how stressed or tired I am.

 

I also recommend that women put some make-up on. Whether it is mascara or lipgloss, it will make them look much better instantly.

 

Sophie Heo, 30, beauty editor of Elle Korea

 

My all-time favourite beauty product is...

 

Dior's HydrAction Refreshing Spray Mist. It gives my skin a great hydration boost and I can use it as a quick pick-me-up whenever I feel that my skin is dry.

 

Three items I would take to a desert island are...

 

DiorSnow's Pure UV Ultra-Protective Whitening UV Base sunscreen, L'Occitane's Shea Butter hand cream and a Shu Uemura eyelash curler.

 

My favourite cheap beauty fix is...

 

To use sheet masks, which are individual pieces of paper or cloth that have been soaked in skincare essence, to improve the condition of my skin.

 

In South Korea, you can buy sheet masks for $1 each so you can afford to use them every day. Look for sheet masks with pumpkin extract as the main ingredient - it is great for firming your skin.

 

The most important thing about beauty I've learnt is...

 

To moisturise so that your wrinkles, if you have any, will be less visible and you appear younger and healthier.

 

Lettie Tseng, 37, deputy beauty director of Elle China

 

My all-time favourite beauty product is...

 

La Mer's Creme de La Mer. It is the only product that is moisturising enough for me as I have dry skin. I also like that it is an all-in-one product with anti-ageing as well as skin-soothing properties.

 

Three items I would take to a desert island are...

 

Kiehl's No. 1 lip balm, Benefit's Benetint for lips and cheeks and any Vichy sunblock.

 

My favourite cheap beauty fix is...

 

To use tea bags as a compress for my eyes. They are great at reducing dark eye circles and they work even better if I cool them in the fridge first.

 

The most important thing about beauty I've learnt is...

 

To be more open about trying new products.

 

As you age, your skin condition changes so you should change your routine to suit your skin.

 

In China, it is hard to persuade people to change their routine, whether it is for make-up or skincare. For example, women buy only rose or red-coloured lipstick and will not try other colours. They will not try lipgloss either because they find it too sticky.

 

Sharon Chow, 31, beauty editor of Cosmopolitan Hong Kong

 

My all-time favourite beauty product is...

 

French brand Bioderma's Hydrabio Moisturising Mask for sensitive and dehydrated skin. The price is affordable and it calms my dry, sensitive skin.

 

Three items I would take to a desert island are...

 

Sunblock of at least SPF 50 from Japan-based Sofina, serum from American brand Exuviance and Cle de Peau Beaute's Refining Fluid foundation.

 

My favourite cheap beauty fix is...

 

To use fresh lemon juice to lighten scars. Squeeze some of it onto a cotton pad and place it over your scar for five to 10 minutes.

 

I used this method on a scar on my hand and I noticed the scar faded after I did this three to four times a week for about four weeks.

 

The most important thing about beauty I've learnt is...

 

To go for regular skin peels. Either a chemical peel or a session of microdermabrasion will help to get rid of dead skin cells. Your skin will be smoother and more radiant, while fine lines and wrinkles become less visible.

 

However, you should not do this too often; about once a month or every other month will do.

 

Aya Fukazawa, 26, beauty editor of Japanese beauty magazine Biteki

 

My all-time favourite beauty product is...

 

The soon-to-be- launched Dior Hydra Life Essence in Lotion. I like the light texture of this lotion.

 

Three items I would take to a desert island are...

 

Dior's Hydra Life Essence in Lotion and Essence-in- Milk as well as a sunblock from Shiseido's Anessa line.

 

My favourite cheap beauty fix is...

 

To do my own lymphatic drainage facial massage. I learnt this from a hair and make-up artist in Japan. You do not need any products. I do this for about two to three minutes daily.

 

Run your fingers along the following parts of your face:

1 From your chin, along your jaw, to the base of your ears;

2 From either side of your nose, along the curve of your cheekbone, to your temple;

3. From the centre of your eyebrows, along the top of your brows, to your temple.

 

This massage reduces water retention and refreshes you instantly.

 

The most important thing about beauty I've learnt is...

 

Not to rush your beauty regimen. Having an eye for detail is important for skincare and make-up. Take time to apply everything properly and enjoy the process of doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment